Here’s a screenprinted broadsheet I made a few months back, inspired by the Navy phrase “Getting off at Fratton” (I’ll leave it up to you to look it up). I have been using photocopies of 3d objects for my imagery a lot recently. I love the ambiguity of the graphic minimalism it creates and I’m still exploring it further. Let me know what you think!
This is my finished artist book which had to be based around Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. My book is based on a short story from the Sherlock Holmes canon, The Man with the Twisted Lip. However, the essence of the story has been paraphrased into cockney rhyming slang and other slang phrases, why don’t you have a butcher’s?
Posted in Artist Book, Cut and Paste, Letterpress/Typography, Print
Tagged artistbook, cockney, collage, décollage, illustration, letterpress, linocut, print, typography
For my most recent illustration project I was given 6 weeks to create an artists book based on one of Portsmouth’s most famous residents Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. When I have more pictures of the final book I will explain a little more. But the jist of it is that I was looking into Cockney rhyming slang and I was recently inspired to get into the letterpress studio after seeing a lecture typographer by Alan Kitching.
Jabba The Hutt
The pages from my artists book are made from décollage which was a difficult surface to print on, I used wallpaper paste to glue the layers down and as it dried the paper became warped and distorted.
My first attempt at making the pages were on paper but after drying they became very difficult to use and they were not stiff enough to bend back into a more uniform shape. The second batch was made using thick card which was much forgiving when bending back into shape and they could take much more of a beating under the press.
Printing onto a normal sheet of paper straight after printing onto these collages created some interesting ghost prints as the ink picked up the creases and rips from the décollage
The artists book I produced is a3 sized, but I’m thinking about scaling the pages down and putting through a silkscreen print to make multiple editions. I also want to explore further possibilities for my ghost prints perhaps putting them in a book/zine of their own.
Here’s some more recent pages from my visual diary.
As part of my course I was assigned two summer projects, one of which is a visual diary entitled “Something New”. Here’s what I’ve done so far…